Sunday, May 17, 2015

Preparing their life resumès... Part II

Being the worry wart that I am, I kept after Carajean to let me know if she and Audrey were safe. (At one point, when the weather was so bad during their flights, she answered my anxious texts with, "Turn off the TV, Mom!") Last night I received the following text from her, along with the picture, which Audrey sent, that was taken in Haida Gwaii. When you see this and read what Carrie says, you will see why I am just a wee bit concerned about them! 

"We were only in Vancouver for one night. We are in the Queen Charlotte Islands of British Columbia, also known as Haida Gwaii. It is very remote. Very few people. Have been doing a lot of hiking and plan to hike a difficult trail to the top of Sleeping Beauty tomorrow. It involves ropes and ladders and a little scaling. If clear, we will be able to see Alaska at the top. Have seen 3 bears. One on a hike, crossing the river. Bald Eagles are everywhere. Saw a family of river otters today on our picnic. The trees are truly magnificent. Audrey has become quite the trail blazer. Although, we have had a guide on two of our outings."  

Ropes, ladders, and a little scaling? 3 bears? A guide on two of their outings? I continue to pray to God the Prayer of Protection over my two tiny adventurers! And I know She will protect them.

***********************************


Baseball season is in full swing as evidenced by my youngest grandson Travis. I have been unable to go to any of his games this year, but the Saturday before Mother's Day my oldest grandson, Cameron, stood in for me. I got the rundown from him and Travis's dad, Matthew. It seems that Travis's team, the Orioles, was losing. In the top half of the last inning, the visitors had two men on base when the coach sent Travis in to pitch. 






Did he ever pitch! Travis struck out three in a row. As if that weren't heroic enough for him, he scored the winning run in their last up-to-bat. Way to go, Travis!





Travis is not only a fine baseball player and a PGA Southern Texas Division Junior Golfer who has won a couple of tournaments, but he consistently makes the A and B honor roll. Some of his seventh grade classes are Advanced Placement. I recently asked him what his favorite class is -- "Texas History", he beamed. He makes us all proud.








Cameron sent this photo as he was cheering for the "hero" of the ballgame. He told me that the whole team was cheering for Travis. I wish I had owned a decent camera when Cameron was a little kid playing soccer in Denton. I would love to have photos of those games.




Miss Kelly, my youngest granddaughter, is holding her own with the rest of my grandchildren. She and her mom, Amy, couldn't be at Travis's game that Saturday as she was playing volleyball. Mom said, "Kelly made the all A Honor Roll, and Travis made the A/B Honor Roll. He is in Pace Math and is doing very well. I am so sad I missed his performance, I was at Kelly's volleyball game and she scored several points and is a fabulous overhead server."
(I had to research PACE [Programs for Advancement, Challenge and Enrichment] Math. These courses are designed to prepare students to take future AP and/or IB courses in high school. That's Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate. "These programs give high school students an opportunity to pursue college-level studies while still in high school. Depending on the college they attend, these courses can lead to advanced placement [skipping entry-level courses] or sometimes even receiving college credit for the coursework completed under these programs. The AP courses are accepted at virtually all U.S. colleges and universities, while the IB program has more limited acceptance within the U.S. but is growing in popularity." Guess that means these courses are meant for the smart kids, huh?)

Kelly is a strong math student as well. The past two years she has been chosen to participate in the Steiner Ranch Elementary's Math Pentathlon Team - Steiner Strategic Stallions. This is a program that is run through the school on a strictly volunteer basis. Those participating in this program:
  • Learn active problem solving, 
  • exercise strategic thinking, 
  • accelerate math skills, and have fun playing games!
Amy said, "The tournament this year was here in Austin. It's the Math Pentathlon Division II Tournament. They play 5 different Math games in the tournament, all against different schools in Austin and the surrounding area. They did well, although the competition was tougher this year. We did not win State again, but had a good finish." You can tell by this photo how seriously Kelly takes her math competition. 
******************************

This lovely young lady is Annie, who we are proud to have as a member of our family now. She and her brother, Bruce, live with my daughter and her husband, Branch. Their late mother, Evelyn, is Branch's sister. Annie, very bright and eager to go to college and get on with her life, took summer classes last year, and is graduating along with her brother this month - at the tender age of 16. She plans to attend OSU in the fall, along with her cousin, Ashlyn. She will be 17 in August.
Big brother, Bruce, will turn 18 this next week. He plans to attend Texas Tech next fall, and follow in his late mother's footsteps by being a pre-med student, with the intent of becoming a physician like her and so many others in this family. He and Annie both are graduating "with honors". I know their mother will be there in spirit, and will be very proud of both of them.

          ***********************************

My daughter teases me about bragging on my grandkids. I gave that some thought, and I realized I do more of that than any of my friends. Why? For one thing, I don't believe there is any such thing as too much praise of our youngsters, and it's something I never received as a child. Having grown up in an extremely critical, and even abusive home, I have wondered from time to time what my life would have been like if our home had been more supportive and loving. Then I realize that I would not want it to be any different. I might have gone on to get more education, but -- and that's a big "but", if it had been different, I would not have the wonderful family I have now. My children and grandchildren are my greatest loves, and bring so much joy and happiness into my life, I cannot imagine life without any of them. I feel so blessed. For, as the Bible says, "If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing."  I Cor. 13:2

My beautiful, talented, loving children and grandchildren tell me in so many ways, "I am something!" I am loved, and so are they.

Peace and love to each of you,
Marilyn

3 comments:

  1. Another God post about your family, Marilyn. You have every right to be proud of their achievements, and I know they must feel very loved by you..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Auto correct on your tablet must have substituted God for "good".. However, I don't think that is a mistake! God wants me to write about them and my love for them. Thank you, June (and God).

      Delete
  2. I also think it is great to praise children.

    And I agree with you that any change in our lives might take away what we love most about our lives today, our children and grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete