Thursday, January 14, 2010

WE ARE THE WORLD

As we watch the horrific images on our television screens, they are reminiscent of an apocalyptic disaster movie. This cannot be happening to people in our world! It cannot be real. But, yes, it is happening. As the hours go by, and the newscasters relate the devastation, showing graphic pictures of bodies laid out side by side, buildings collapsed, the horrors these neighbors of ours are experiencing are almost too much to bear.

***********************************************************
In 1989, I heard a plea go out on the CBS Evening News with Dan Rather. They were showing graphic images of the Loma Prieta earthquake that had just happened in San Francisco. I was horrified seeing and hearing about the collapsed freeways and the destruction still taking place as Dan Rather spoke. I was crying, pacing the floor, and wringing my hands. My prayers going out to those who were suffering so... Then, I heard him say, "anyone living in the Denton, Texas area wishing to help the earthquake victims, please call FEMA at this number ____." Not knowing anything about FEMA, and wondering how on earth anyone in Texas could possibly help victims in California, my hands shook as I dialed the number. I had images of rolling bandages for the Red Cross. Seriously! I thought I was volunteering.

Thus began my five-year stint as a disaster assistance employee. I met one other person in my time there who described his reaction to the call for help in the same way as I did. We both thought we were volunteering -- and indeed, we still would have signed on without pay.

As bad as the earthquake in California was, I don't recall the damages being as severe as what I have seen
in Haiti on television the past two days. I did not have access to 24-hour television news back then, and of course, I was on the telephone taking down information from disaster victims in less than 12 hours from the time I called. My experiences with that first disaster were filled with tragedy, fear, empathy, and so many stories of "miracles" and heroism.

I was so proud today watching the Americans preparing to launch with supplies
and search and rescue teams to help the Haitian people. I know the news now will be filled with the heroic efforts of people from all over the world, as they alleviate the immediate needs for food, water, and medical care of these poor neighbors of ours. These same countries were there for the United States after 9/11. As the song says, "we are the world... we are the children." May those precious children -- many of them orphaned now, go to bed tonight with food in their bellies, medical treatment... and clean diapers, if needed.


***********************************************************
I was ashamed to hear what a prominent "Christian" television broadcaster said about the Haitians "bringing this disaster upon themselves"! He does not speak for me! Nor millions of the other Christians or believers in this country!
***********************************************************
As we watch or read the news about the rescue efforts in Haiti, as we cry and wring our hands and pray, let us look for the good things that are happening down there and make a point to remember them, and to not dwell on all the pain and suffering. Let our hearts be filled with gratitude and praise for the efforts of those who are working to help the victims. And if you haven't already, donate any amount of money - no matter how small, to the agencies. My favorites are:

Doctors Without Borders USA

P.O. Box 5030
Hagerstown, MD 21741-5030

American Red Cross International Response Fund
P.O. Box 37243
Washington, DC 20013

And of course, the Salvation Army, although I don't have their address at hand. All of these organizations are
already on site in Haiti, and were there before the earthquake. If you wish to donate with a credit card, you can go online and find each website, with instructions for doing so. I've also read that you can donate via your cell phone. Please indicate that you wish your donation to go to the Haiti relief fund.

The needs of these victims are growing hour by hour, and funds will be needed for a long time to come. This is such a poor country to begin with, they need our help more than ever. We truly must be "our brothers' keeper". Next time it
again could be our country .

Let's help make some good stuff happen!

Love and peace,
Marilyn

2 comments:

  1. I wish to post a couple of comments I received on this blog, as I think they point out how we all are being affected. If you wish to comment,also, just click on "comment" at the end of the article.

    The first is from June in Oklahoma:

    Fantastic blog, Marilyn. You voiced the sentiments I have been feeling for the last two days so well. We are absolutely the world. Thanks for sharing, dear friend. With love, June

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is from Carin in Denton, who has been a prayer chaplain at Unity. She and June are both what I call "prayer warriors", and I feel confident turning to them for any prayer needs. The people of Haiti are fortunate to have people like these praying for them.

    "Way to go, Marilyn! You are sooo right about the current crisis. I have spent the last couple of nights trying to sleep but instead lucid dreaming and praying the whole while. Human compassion -- loving kindness -- light and comfort -- hope.... We ARE one with The One That Is All, as well as our bother's/sister's keeper. Amen. Amen."

    ReplyDelete