Monday, March 10, 2014

MORE FAMILY NEWS

Number One Son Craig's children have been very busy. Here is an update on what's going on in their lives.

This summer Cameron will be head youth counselor at the Bar Lazy J Guest Ranch in Colorado, where he will provide music and entertainment as well. Needing a change of pace from the 9-5 job he's been working at in Dallas, and having a chance to travel both before and after the position in Colorado, Cameron is excited about the change. He will be able to save money (free lodging and food), and to eat what the guests eat - "prime rib on a weekly basis"! Gotta love young men's appetites! The photos of the ranch are beautiful - cabins that all face the Colorado River and views of the mountains.

I asked Cameron (who sings opera) if he knows any country/western songs. He replied, "I will be bringing my guitar, and I know a few country/western tunes. I need to brush up on Willie, Waylon, and Johnny, and get good on the classics. Opera doesn't fit into this at all..." I told him to shop Goodwill and buy western shirts for the summer.


As I looked at the Guest Ranch's website, it dawned on me that Cameron may not have been on a horse. This will be interesting, as some of the photos show the kids riding horses. As Youth Counselor, he might be expected to ride with them. Well, he told me he's determined to become a full-time adventurer. This will be a good start. Cameron, the kids staying at the ranch will be very lucky to have you as their counselor - even if you don't know how to ride a horse.
 ****************************************************

Cameron's younger sister Hannah told me that February and March are the busiest, most stressful times for her. For an eighth grader, that is most unusual (I think). When she sent me her schedule, I had to agree with her. Recently she participated in the Irma P. Hall Theatre Arts Festival in Dallas. Their website describes this event as follows:

"Talented Dallas ISD students from 9 high schools, 10 middle schools, and 23 theatre programs ..compete for awards in playwriting, directing, and acting.. 

..The festival is believed to be the only theatre festival in the state that addresses crucial skills such as critical thinking, problem solving, communication, collaboration, creativity, and innovation. The goal is for students to learn 21st century skills, while also celebrating student creativity."

Hannah competed in improvisation, interpretive mask, costume design, and performed an original monologue. She got blue ribbons in each, except for costume design, so she earned a gold medal. She wrote me the following:

"This Saturday I am participating in Academic UIL, which is a competition where you enter events to show your intelligence. (I haven't yet heard how she did in this. As she's a straight A student, I'm sure she excelled.

A week from tomorrow I am getting my braces off, so I'm really very excited about that, and that afternoon I have auditions for the big spring play. Two days after that, I go to a major choir competition, and two weeks after that, I have an even bigger choir competition."

Whew! To top all of that off, Hannah was accepted into Booker T. Washington Performing Arts High School, after auditioning with a monologue from "Oz" . Way to go, Hannah. You make us all proud.

               

Looking at the above photo, wouldn't you think the boy in the black pants kicking up his heels is having a good time? That's Matthew's son Travis at one of his Cotillion rehearsals. When I asked him if he liked dancing, he made a face and said, "No! I hate it!" Could'a fooled me.. By the way, notice how the girls look so much more mature than the boys. Here's how he looked the night of the Cotillion Ball. He doesn't look like someone dreading the evening, does he? Maybe he's just looking forward to the good meal. The boy's got a big appetite!

His mom just sent me a photo from the local paper about the 6th graders at his school making up their own line dance and performing for their parents. Travis is in shorts, looking cool with his sunglasses on. He neglected to tell this Grandmommy about doing this - perhaps because I might not believe him when he tells me he doesn't like to dance?

Travis much prefers sports to dancing. Good exercise either way. He just finished basketball season, and his team lost only one game. Unfortunately, that was a tournament game. Next year, Travis. Before he was finished with basketball, baseball season started. And little sister Kelly was playing soccer. It kept Dad and Mom, Amy, jumping for about a week.

Travis and Kelly spent the night with me this past weekend, giving Amy and Matt a chance to go out and sleep in the next morning. When they woke up, Amy called the kids on a video chat. Here they are watching her and telling her about their time here. Isn't technology wonderful?

Miss Kelly is fast becoming one of our stars in the family as well. I will tell you about her accomplishments - and personality - in a future blog.
****************************************
Being around family helps keep one's mind off the terrible events happening in the world. Sadly, the news of those events is waiting for me. I try hard not to let them anger me, or focus too much attention on any particular event. "What you focus on, increases." Better to focus on the love of family. And send prayers for peace, comfort, and resolution to the world.

Peace and love to you and yours,
Marilyn

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful, productive grandchildren as always, Marilyn. I especially hope Cameron has a wonderful summer at the guest ranch. He's probably long overdue an enjoyable and lucrative job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog! I have gone horseback riding several times... But I'm by no means experienced (I know I will get it). Luckily, they have children's wranglers who handle most of that.

    ReplyDelete