Thursday, April 24, 2014

Raspberries and Kudos

I wish I'd kept the source of this baby's image. It so expresses the way I feel about some things in the news recently. Here are a few:

RASPBERRIES:
  • Gun carry rights law passed in Georgia. I cannot fathom people now openly carrying weapons in churches, bars, schools, and even airports. What on earth are they thinking about in Georgia? How many legislators were paid off by the NRA?
  • FDA approves new painkiller Zohydro. It's 5-10 times stronger than Vicodin. They state that "if used correctly" it's safe and effective. How many addicts care if they use a drug correctly.. and this one is so strong one tablet can kill a child. Do we really need another drug for pain? Of course, I know this is a subjective view. If I suffered severe pain, I might think differently. All I can think of is how many young people are now getting addicted to prescription drugs they get from their parents' medicine chests.
  • Palcohol The federal government recently granted label approval to powdered alcohol, which turns water into vodka and rum. They subsequently rescinded that approval, however, it could be approved at a later date with different labels. Imagine how easy this will make it for anyone to conceal and drink alcohol without detection. Again, what a nightmare for parents. And the fact that it is possible that many will try to "snort" the powder like cocaine makes it even more dangerous. Teenagers are notorious risk-takers. 
  • The U.S. Supreme Court ruling upholding Michigan's law banning racial preferences in university admissions. They have opened the door for other states' approving such a ban. Another case of the loosening of state laws banning racial discrimination. It is an unfortunate trend, along with the voters' rights discrimination rampant in many red states today.
****************************************
KUDOS:

The UN's decision to ban Japan's annual whaling drive off the coast of Antarctica.

- Pope Francis's statement regarding gays.. "Who am I to judge?" (I love this man!)

- Johnson and Johnson has pledged to remove all harmful chemicals from its consumer products by the year 2015. It has already removed them from their line of baby products. I will definitely use their products.. except for the baby products, of course!

- Billionaire Tudor Jones and his Robin Hood Foundation. Mr. Jones recently raised $57 million in donations to help fund about 500 projects for the poor, many in education. He was featured on 60 Minutes last Sunday. To read a fascinating study of how he came to be interested in eradicating poverty, here is a good site to read his profile done by the 60 Minutes team: Recapo His is a story of the extremely wealthy in this country "paying it forward".

- The "mother nature network" has listed Austin, TX as one of the ten "greenest" cities in the United States. If it were not for the horrendous traffic, that would make Austin the best place in the U.S. to live! We have a plethora of green space -- parks, preserves, greenbelts, and trails throughout the city. Drive around when you can miss the rush hour traffic and just notice how green everything looks, even in the winter time! Austin has implemented many good programs one of which is curbside recycling, and even a ban on retail plastic bag use. I keep a good supply of  reusable bags in my car at all times.

I missed writing about Earth Day this week. However, I was torn between two loves - writing on this blog or getting out in nature. Guess which won? I've been prettying up my front porch and yard with new and old plants now that the last of the 30 degree temperatures are behind us. And I'm not finished yet.

Happy Spring!

Love and peace,
Marilyn


2 comments:

  1. Let me get this straight, you oppose loosening laws that oppose racial discrimination. Does that mean you support racial discrimination? The NFL and NBA certainly discriminate by not hiring Anglos and filling their rosters with minorities only because they are better athletes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember the "NFL and NBA" being mentioned in affirmative action laws.. Maybe I'm wrong.. Let me think about it! I'm sure something applies.. Let's see, schools (both lower and higher ed) are learning environments (supposedly).. By the time an athlete turns professional, he has already reached his peak? Fewer Caucasians apply or are recruited due to inabilities? You don't hire a computer technician for a computer programming position simply because he's a minority and your firm needs him? I don't have an answer Bob, but I do know we still have waaaay too much discrimination in this country, and the laws protecting minorities are slowly being eroded. And that is a crying shame.

    ReplyDelete