Friday, September 26, 2014

HORRIFIC HEADLINES (And Why We Must Read Them)



From Merriam-Webster.com. To muse: 
  • to think or say (something) in a thoughtful way
  • to become absorbed in thought; especially:  to turn something over in the mind meditatively and often inconclusively

In my header to this blog, I say that these are my "musings". As I have more and more begun to write on subjects of a political or world news nature, my conscience worries me to the point I often dream about it. I have stated before that I am a believer in "what you hold in your thoughts, you create in your world". As thoughts are energy, how do I justify musing about the crises in our own country, as well as around the world? Am I adding to the fear consciousness of the planet when I not only turn these things over and over in my mind, but write about them as well? And as Merriam-Webster states, "often inconclusively", in most cases, I cannot come to conclusions (or solutions) as good as or any better than our politicians or world leaders propose.

I consider myself a pacifist. How then can I justify the elated response I feel at the revelations that the United States has begun bombing in other countries, perhaps even risking killing innocent citizens? The anger I felt at the brutal decapitations carried out by the terrorists, and published in the media for all to see... is that justification for perhaps killing 100s or even thousands of innocents by our own government? But how else are we supposed to stop these merciless terrorists? "Love Thine Enemy" doesn't cut it, does it?

I have been opposed to the death penalty for many years, and feel ashamed that our state of Texas has held more executions in recent years than any other state in the Union. How do I explain my first reaction when I hear of some horrific rape and killing of a child? My immediate thought is this person deserves to die! 

From time to time I have gone on what I call a "news fast" to prevent my dwelling on so many painful events around the globe. That never lasts very long, as it is too hard to ignore the many electronic newscasts now available. When I quit watching cable (for monetary, not moral reasons), I thought it would be easier -- but it's not. 

The following article I read recently provides some salve to my conscience. The entire article is quite moving, as Courtney Martin wrote this after a visit with her parents. Her mother has been on a personal news fast herself. Consequently, Courtney brought her mother to tears as she discussed the current news. I could relate when she said that those of us who cannot tear ourselves away from news have become "scabbed over" in an effort to protect our psyches. That may have worked on my waking self, but as my dreams indicate, deep down in my consciousness I have yet to assimilate any toughness, and my tears flow as well. 
From The Unbearable Weight of World News by Courtney E. Martin
"...shielding oneself from the news is dangerous for everyone. If we, the relatively safe and privileged reader, don’t act as witnesses to the world’s violence, how can we fight against it? Is our mental comfort more important than the motivation that our discomfort might produce?

..As for viewing images of horrific violence perpetrated upon innocent victims around the world, Susan Moeller of the International Center for Media and the Public Agenda wrote '…we the adult audience have the responsibility of looking at it — forewarned of the horrors to be seen perhaps, but not coddled into a comfortable obliviousness.'"

Two phrases used in Courtney's article have stuck with me. One is "compassionate fatigue", which is an accurate description of what one feels after so many stories of violence that put one in emotional overload. The other is a practice that so many responsible journalists are now trying to emulate, "solutions journalism". They have their own website, Solutions Journalism, which is all about helping writers and journalists to reframe their coverage "from a more solutions-oriented viewpoint."




I need to study some of the articles on this site in order to feel better about what I put on my blog in the future. I know I've had at least one friend who wrote that she postponed opening the blog for fear of something dreadful on it. In the meantime,  if you need a shot of inspiration and optimism about the state of the world, I urge you to go to the Good News Network. There really are good things happening in our world today.

Peace and love,
Marilyn

4 comments:

  1. I am trying to listen and read about as little violence as I can manage these days, Marilyn. I pray daily for peace in all hearts beginning with mine, and since I cannot single handed affect change in the hearts of these terrorists, I also pray for those in my government who are trying to do just that. But I do know that I cannot listen and read constantly of the horrible things happening beyond my control and go to sleep at night. When I can change or influence something I try very hard to do so, but when I cannot, I have to leave it in God's hands. If that's cowardly, so be it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear friend, I would never think of you as "cowardly". In fact, YOUR prayers and peaceful thoughts may just be the ones that someday tip the balance, and be the ones that cause us to reach a "critical mass" in consciousness that changes the world. I agree we should limit our access to the violence, but it is helpful to know how to direct our peaceful thoughts and prayers. Or who/what we wish to support in efforts to aid the victims or solve the problems. I believe that is what these "solutions" journalists are trying to promote. That, and bringing hope to the world by sharing the work being done to solve the many crises and challenges we face today.

      Sometimes shining a light is necessary to defeat the darkness.

      Keep doing what you do so well, prayer warrior.

      Delete
  2. When I was active in the anti-nuke movement in the 80s, we used the term "psychic numbing". It's a defensive mechanism that we, both collectively and individually, often use when to do otherwise would be overwhelming. I guess sometimes it's healthy. But too often people just stay in that state, as evidenced by the fact that generally less than 50 percent of us even bother to vote.

    Good blog, Mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had to learn of the proliferation of nuclear weapons in order to form an "anti-nuke movement", which eventually led to nuclear disarmament agreements - didn't it? My history is a little cloudy on that issue, but I do know that movements of many kinds in our history have created the changes necessary for our society to advance and flourish. Those movements were started by being informed by media. Granted, in those days it was not nearly so graphic. If they had plastered photos of the victims of Hiroshima all over the news at the time, the public outcry would have been tremendous. We may have had the anti-nuke movement decades earlier.

      Proud of all you've done, Number One son.

      Mom



      Delete