Tuesday, May 25, 2021

FAMILY UPDATE

My son Matthew and his family never seem to run out of fun things to do together. Matthew first loved to play golf as his father did, so it was only natural that he taught his son Travis to play as soon as he was big enough to hold his own golf clubs. Travis just finished his Freshman year on a golf scholarship at Lubbock Christian College. As the two of them spent more and more time together on the golf course or watching tournaments on television, it wasn't long before Matt's wife Amy took up the sport as well. Their daughter Kelly is more into dance and music, although her mother tells me that she is a pretty good golfer, too, when she chooses to play. However, I hear that she is a terrific golf cart driver. Kelly just finished her Freshman year in high school. I see Driver's Ed in her future!


From time to time this past year I kept hearing about Amy's golf experiences. After hearing about her "wins", I decided to ask her about them. You can tell by her responses that she is very excited about the game of golf. Not to mention the fact that there is money to be won! If the teams weren't "computer-generated" I'll bet she would be a popular choice as a team mate! I'm not really up on all the golf terminology, however, there are probably enough golfers reading this who will understand the lingo!   Way to go, Amy!

"I won first place with my team of three players at the weekly Hump Day Hustle, which is a fun social golf league open to all adult Golf Members of the club. It is a three-Person Scramble, ABC Computer-Generated Teams, with a Weekly Powerball drawing following the round. My team also won the Powerball drawing. If no one wins the Powerball that week, the pot keeps building until a team wins. The pot got up to $1,600 and my team won. So I won a total of $663 from my First Place win and the Powerball win.  I am the only female on the three-person team and the men benefit from having me on their team because I get to hit from the Red tees, which sets them up nicely to have a chance at eagle and mostly birdie chances on each hole."
Amy went on to say, "Matthew and I have been playing a great deal of golf since the pandemic started. I have joined the WGA (women's golf association) at River Place CC and have met a lot of new people. I have two great coaches (Matthew and Travis) that have helped improve my game over the past several months. I have played in two women's tournaments thus far. My first tournament ever was The Blind Date Scramble and my team came in First Place. In March, I played in the Shamrock Scramble and we came in Third. Matthew and I have signed up to play in a tournament Memorial Day Weekend. The WGA and MGA are teaming up for their First Annual Charity Golf Tournament. This year's tournament will benefit Meals on Wheels. I am super excited about this event. I just enjoy being in the great outdoors and being with wonderful people, playing a game that I have come to love."

I wish them luck at the tournament this weekend. Affirming clear, blue skies.

Peace,
Marilyn

1 comment: