Sunday, August 15, 2021

PROMISE FOR OUR FUTURE

In my last post, (Sentimental Me) I told about my grandson, Branch Tanner Archer, and his latest endeavor. As a member of the Sierra Route group of bicycle riders raising money for cancer research, (see Texas 4000), they just completed a 70-day trip of over 6,000 miles in the lower 48 states. They were originally to ride all the way to Alaska but Canada closed its borders before their ride began. Arriving back home in Austin this past Friday, Tanner is now on his way to Alaska (by plane, not bicycle!) to meet up with his parents and other family members. They had made reservations to be in Alaska to greet the riders before Canada closed its borders, and they were unable to cancel their flights for refunds. The family will enjoy this next week with Tanner. Although Mom and Dad were not here to celebrate with him at the ride's conclusion, other family members were:
Papaw, Tanner, Aunt Amy & Cousin Kelly

I haven't yet heard how much money was raised, but the dedication of these young riders is extremely admirable. I want to share what Tanner wrote as his reasons for participation in this grueling fund-raising event:

"My mother survived breast cancer, but I was too young to remember much of what happened. I remember her wigs, and I also remember her lying in bed a lot. My Aunt Elizabeth passed away from colon cancer, but again I was too young to really understand. I finally understood when my Aunt Evelyn, single mother to my cousins Bruce and Annie, passed away from metastasized breast cancer in her spine that we thought she had beaten years ago.

"I'm not sold on free will, but I do think we have choices (and that matters). These women chose something. My mom chose to double the length of her chemo to ensure that it never came back. My aunt chose to laugh at my dad’s jokes that Thanksgiving, just weeks before her death. She chose to fight through ten years of chemo, work full-time as a physician, and raise two children by herself all at once. I have never heard a word of self-pity from either of these women. That’s what they chose, and I want to thank them and their children for their brave choices with my choice to ride."

If you wish to feel optimistic about the future of our country, go to the website for Texas 4000 and read what other young riders wrote about their own reasons for joining in this worthy cause. Many of them are studying for careers in the environmental sciences. You may also choose to donate at this site.
*****************************************************
The strength and courage and determination of these young adults give me much hope for the future of our country and the world. 

Peace and love,
Marilyn
 

2 comments:

  1. What a remarkable young man is your grandson, Tanner, and also those others making this long ride across America for this wonderful cause. Bravo!!!!!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful story of an amazing young man! Tremendous "Thanks" to him for his contribution and for bringing awareness to such a wonderful cause.

    ReplyDelete