Tuesday, April 8, 2014

"Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."


Am I the only one who finds it ironical that so many of our representatives in Congress seem to ignore The Golden Rule in all its many forms? Especially those who claim to be Christian? At the swearing in of Congress in January, 2013, the overwhelming majority of members of both the House and the Senate professed to be Christian of one denomination or another. 33 members were Jewish, and the balance answered as "no affiliation, other, or refuse to answer". 

The Golden Rule - or "do unto others" - is present in every world religion as well as ethical philosophies. One version or another has been around for centuries before the birth of Christ. The Christian version is present in different forms throughout the Bible, most notably when Jesus the Christ admonished, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, for this is the law and the prophets." (Matthew 7:12 and Luke 6:31)

In Judaism, from the Talmud, "What is hurtful to yourself do not to your fellow man. That is the whole of The Torah and the remainder is but commentary."

It may surprise many to know that (Sunni) Islam teaches the same, "Do unto all men as you would they should unto you, and reject for others what you would reject for yourself." (Mishkat-el-Masabih)

There is also one described as "Commonsenseism" - put in modern, secular terms as "Treat people the way you'd like to be treated."
How do our Representatives reconcile their religious faith with some - not all - of the actions they take in Congress? It is tiresome to hear so many of our politicians (not only in Congress, but also in the Texas political arena) lump together the scores of unemployed, homeless, the hungry, the sick, and the poor with the few in our country who take advantage of assistance programs, by labeling them "dependents" (as if it is a dirty word) in an effort which cuts the assistance to those who are really in need. Paul Ryan's budget proposal is a shameful example of this trend. Congress's refusal to extend unemployment benefits; Ryan's proposal to repeal the Affordable Care Act (ACA), and cut Food Stamps, Medicaid and Medicare, even privatize Social Security, would have devastating effects on our country.

The Reproductive Rights issues in many states have already hurt the poor, especially in Texas. Using Christianity as a reason to limit accessibility to family planning and yes, even abortion, has already deprived many of the poor of necessary healthcare in Texas. By making stringent
demands on Planned Parenthood centers, Texas has effectively shut down several of these centers in the most-needed parts of the state. Who will care for the unplanned (and often unwanted) children, born into poverty or even abuse and neglect? Who is going to provide their healthcare, nutrition, education? (Texas ranks 46th in the country in per student spending on education, and ranks 34th in overall quality of education.)

What will happen to the explosion of the elderly as the baby boomers reach their "golden years", and they find their Social Security payments and Medicare reduced or eliminated? Texas Governor Perry refused the additional federal Medicaid funds, which may mean many hospitals and nursing homes will not be able to remain open in the future. One nursing home administrator told me if their Medicare funding is cut they will have to close their doors.

The Congressional Christians speak out most about repealing the Healthcare Act, reproductive rights, abortion, and homosexuality. The one area that they seem to be losing ground on is same-sex marriage, as more and more states are passing laws to allow these marriages, or to at least recognize those from states which do. Pope Francis speaking out against judgement of homosexuals may have played a part in this by shaming the anti-gay establishment. 

Which reminds me that I, too, am becoming too judgmental in my appraisals of the conservatives and the wealthy who are running the country. I don't believe they will burn in Hell!  However, I may be creating a "hell" of my own with my words. When I start in on these subjects I have been quickly brought to task by my younger son. My own judgmentalism is seen as hypocrisy, and he's right. There's an old Indian saying that goes like this:
I can only hope that if I were in the shoes of the politicians and the wealthy 1% of this country that I would care more for the poor and disenfranchised than is shown by them. For now, I can only pray that enough feel the way I do that we can vote for positive change in America. In the meantime,  I ask them, what would you do in my shoes?

Peace and love,
Marilyn

~My thanks to the Christian Left website for wonderful images that inspire me.

3 comments:

  1. The North Carolina governor refused the federal Medicaid expansion too. And he worked for Duke Energy for 28-29 years and has helped stop the prosecution of that company for dumping coal ash into the Dan River. Basically poisoning people. For the beginning: http://www.wunderground.com/news/north-carolina-coal-ash-spill-20140206

    And his money bags sidekick is as bad as any in Texas I hate to say; it is true anyway. Watch Bill Mahr take him to task!
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/08/03/1228594/-MUST-SEE-Bill-Maher-exposes-how-Art-Pope-is-destroying-North-Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you every actually believed, or even thought that those who do the opposite of what Christ taught are on their way to hell? I bet you never have.
    'Judge ye not, lest you be judged' does not take away our obligation to reason with people. Instead it means don't judge that the actions of others will put them in hell. While the souls of people are the concern of God, this, in no way, relieves us of the obligation to reason with people.

    As followers of Christ, we must make people aware when their actions, or inactions are detrimental to their neighbors, and to the world. When we reason with people, even tell them their actions are not Christ like--- when these actions/inactions actually are not Christ like-- we still are not judging their souls. (Unless we are like the Westboro Baptists who have decided everyone but they are going to hell, while they spew hate. 'God' and' Hate' on the same sign??!! What are these people thinking?
    Do they not know that Jesus didn't picket sinners. He sat among them. )

    If we do not reason with people who do the opposite of what Christ taught, then the opposite of what he wanted continues to occurs.
    We must make people aware that yelling, WE ARE A CHRISTIAN NATION is not the same as being a Christian nation.
    Christians must be reminded of Jesus's teachings daily---every hour, every moment, every second--- for as long as children go hungry, for as long as people are without necessary healthcare, for as long people go without adequate shelter and without adequate clothing.
    If I am a hypocrite for calling Christians to task, then so be it. Better that I have to answer to God for this than I sit silently while people suffer.
    Matthew 25:35-40
    New International Version (NIV)
    35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,A)"> 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me,B)"> I was sick and you looked after me,C)"> I was in prison and you came to visit me.’D)">
    37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
    40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’E)">

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your statement, "WE ARE A CHRISTIAN NATION is not the same as being a Christian nation." Too many Christians do not think that way.
      Although I agree with what you write, I do not mean for this blog to become a religious OR political blog... there are plenty of those on the web. Most of what I personally write is just my own insight and/or opinions on what is happening in the world around me - and how it makes me feel. As a not always successful follower of Jesus the Christ, I like to think that sometimes I am "spreading the Word" in my own way.

      I appreciate any and all comments and feedback. Thank you, Cliffie, for this reminder of what being a Christian truly means.
      Love,
      Marilyn

      Delete