Sunday, April 18, 2010

FOLLOW-UP TO DIET OR DIE (and MORE)

I was surprised at the reaction of a few of you to my last blog post. I think the subject of food is tricky in this country. I started off thinking I was writing a humorous piece, however, it ended up pretty damning of the food industry. Or at least what the media has convinced some of us is going on in the industry. I got some good advice and decided to write a little more on the subject.

One friend, Mary, (see her comment on the last blog) reminded me of how I have retreated from my belief in the mind/body connection -- at least where food is concerned. I, too, think that if we believe something strongly enough, our "thinking makes it so"! I also believe that my Creator places the right foods for my consumption, if not in my hand, then in my consciousness. Any woman who has ever been pregnant can vouch for the "cravings" we experienced. Most of the time, cravings indicate a need in our body. (This does not mean the cravings for such addictive elements as sugar, alcohol, caffeine, etc.) The same is true when we aren't pregnant. We just have to be tuned in, and listen to our body's needs.

In my younger years I mostly thought of food in terms of "what can I afford?", and what can I feed my children that corresponds with what the one semester of cooking in Home Economics told me I should. I trusted the food supply completely -- unless my mother told me differently. For years I wouldn't use frozen foods because she told me they were no good! When I reminded her of that when I caught her using them, she laughed at me. Said they weren't very good when they first came out, but that had been years before and they had greatly improved. I'd been missing out on easier and better tasting foods than the canned ones I used, and some cheaper than a lot of the fresh vegetables and fruit.

My diet when I was younger differed greatly from what I eat now. I certainly used more canned goods. I also drank lots of Dr Peppers! The result was a mouth full of cavities. But no weight gain as they say young people suffer from today. However, there were no sugar substitutes until the use of saccharin and then cyclamates in the late 50s and early 60s. And no high fructose corn syrup being used in our drinks as they are today. We mostly ate or drank the "real thing" (in this case, sugar). Maybe that's the problem today. In order to increase profits, so many substitutions that end up being harmful are being used in our food and drinks.

Once we allow certain knowledge into our brains, I don't believe it's possible to unlearn it. We know what we know -- period. However, I can and will cease and desist adding to my already overloaded cache of food additive information! Of course, I still plan to stay away from the additives that I already know are harmful... saturated and trans fats, and especially high fructose corn syrup. If it weren't for the subsidies to farmers growing all that corn, perhaps it wouldn't be such a cheap substitute for sugar. I understand why preservatives are necessary to so many products. Too bad they don't "preserve" our lives as well! And I didn't even touch on the "bad" carbs, or the supposed carcinogens we ingest everyday. Aaaaaagggghhhhh!

When my mother was about my age she had high cholesterol. Rather than put her on medication, her doctor advised her to walk. She bought the first (and last) pair of "sneakers" she ever wore, went to an indoor mall along with other seniors, and walked daily for a month. I don't know how far she walked each time, but it must have been a considerable distance because she brought her cholesterol down by 30 points in one month! So, along with my new (improved) credo of "moderation in everything", I am going to commit to walking at least 10 to 20 minutes daily. When the rain quits, that is. I'll keep you posted.

Food habits have become the new smoking habits for many of us. Kurt Vonnegut (who suffered from depression and attempted suicide at least once in his lifetime) was once asked why he continued to smoke when so many studies pointed out the dangers in doing so. His response was that smoking was the only "socially acceptable form of suicide". Well, that certainly is no longer the truth. Is eating anything and everything we want now the new socially acceptable form? (Or will you go outdoors to ingest that bucket of KFC or double Big Mac?) I hope not. I think it is more a matter of ignorance of the facts of our food supply and its harmful contents that are causing the rampant obesity, diabetes, and heart disease we are seeing in our society today. But too much knowledge can be dangerous as well. Such as my "overload" of info that produces a type of paranoia. One feels like throwing up your hands and giving up! And that can be unhealthy as well.

Enough of that. I began this original blog to be a positive, upbeat, "let's talk about all the good stuff" kind of blog. So now I am going to insert what I have been using as a basic food guide ever since the book Super Foods by Steven Pratt, M.D. and Kathy Matthews was published. SUPER FOODS! Foods we all need to have in our diet. Foods that are not only healthy, but can be a prevention to many illnesses when incorporated into our diet on a regular basis. I highly recommend the book. In alphabetical order, these foods are: Beans, Blueberries, Broccoli, Oats, Oranges, Pumpkin, Salmon, Soy, Spinach, Tea -- green or black, Tomatoes, Turkey, Walnuts, and Yogurt. Since the book was published I have heard of more foods being added to the list. My favorites are Avocado and Mushrooms. With the exception of salmon, I keep most of these in my fridge or pantry. I don't know why I don't do salmon more often, as I really love the taste. I guess I prefer fresh fish (I do buy frozen fillets of tilapia by the bag), and fresh salmon is a little pricey most of the time. Ummm. All this food talk is making me hungry!

***********************************************************

On another note, about a month ago my daughter Carajean and her daughter Ashlyn came for a brief visit. While they were here, son Matthew and his family came over as well. I put Matthew to work on a few little things, like taking down a fire alarm that wouldn't work. He, in turn, put his son Travis to work helping him. To keep from getting a stool, he used Travis to finish taking the screws out of the ceiling:

Pretty nice to have around, huh?

Then there was a rousing game of -- uhhh, something -- with Ashlyn, Aunt Carrie, and his mom. Having played a game or two with Travis in the past, I'm pretty certain he won this game! Kelly and Grandmommy were doing something else at the time. Probably primping!

***********************************************************

Ending on that note, I've got to post this picture of Miss Kelly and the bluebonnets that her daddy took yesterday. What a little doll -- even with the knee out in her jeans! She probably wants to be like the big girls since these shabby jeans are back in style!

I really appreciate feedback on the blog. If you wish to comment, just click on Comments at the end of this entry. Or email me your thoughts as some of you did last time. I will publish them or not, as you wish.

Until next time..

Peace and love,
Marilyn



3 comments:

  1. I've been trying to eat healthier. Which means not so much in the way of fast foods. I had some Church's fried chicken yesterday, though. Felt terrible the rest of the day.

    I have always identified a lot with Vonnegut. Smoking - suicide on the installment plan.

    Need to quit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rarely eat "fast foods", and look at the health problems I've had of late! I really do blame a lot of it on food additives.

    As for smoking -- well, everyone knows what that did to my lungs! And Aunt Jean's. Yeah... You need to quit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh.. it was all that trans fat the chicken was fried in! Vince told me he read where Denmark recently outlawed the use. Mom's fried chicken doesn't make you sick -- just raises your cholesterol! I'll bet Anat's cooking is very healthy, from the looks of her!

    ReplyDelete