Monday, May 17, 2010

LOOK SMALL, INTO THE WINGS OF THINGS...

I’ve been trying to determine what I'm doing with my time lately. This morning, as I sipped my coffee while sitting at my kitchen window, it occurred to me that I have been spending a lot of time watching the “wild life” in my back yard. The weather has been perfect. Cool enough that I don’t need to run the air conditioner, but warm enough to open the windows. Even being “aurally challenged”, with the windows opened I can hear the birds sing. The white-winged doves call “who cooks for you” (I often call back to them, and they will keep it up as long as I will play the game!). The squirrels chatter and chase one another, and various birds delight me with their songs.
This morning two of the young squirrels scampered over the yard, stopping to dig up pecans they had previously buried. As I watched their antics I noticed a pretty large lizard on the patio. As usual, the little sparrows were working themselves silly trying to feed their broods. I watched as one fed three young ones almost as big as she was. They were big enough to fly, but I guess they didn’t have the skills yet to feed themselves. I also spotted a male cardinal feeding two juvenile cardinals right about dusk. I've noted that about cardinals -- they seem to like to feed later than the other birds. Maybe it's because there is no competition at that time of day.

I have been observing a nest of mockingbirds in the honeysuckle bush over the fence in my neighbor’s yard. Occasionally I would see four little heads pop up, mouths open wide. I couldn’t get quite close enough to take a good photo. Then one day I looked out the window and saw a young mockingbird hopping across my yard. It would hop three or four times, then stop and flap its wings three or four times. It repeated this over and over, but it never got off the ground! By the time I found my camera and got back to the window, it was nowhere in sight.

The next day I was in the front yard pulling weeds when the two mockingbirds I had been observing feeding the four fledglings started calling to me and flitting from one tree to the other. As I always do, I whistled back. They continued to do this in an almost frantic fashion, chirping in between whistles. A short time later I moved to the back yard to pull more weeds and they followed me, even getting on very low branches to catch my attention.

Beside the back porch I keep large containers to put pulled weeds in. Imagine my surprise when I went to dispose of a handful of weeds and spotted the little one pictured above! It had apparently made it up the porch steps the day before and then fallen into the plastic bucket, where it spent the night. No wonder the adults were calling to me. They wanted my help. I was happy to oblige – but first I had to get my camera and take some pictures! Is this not the cutest thing?

I gently guided it to the corner near the nest. A few days later I noticed two of the young mockingbirds flying short distances in my neighbor’s back yard. I was hoping one of them might be the little babe I rescued.
(HEY! I'M NOT YOUR MOTHER!)


As if the back yard and all the trees around don’t have enough room for nests, I was watering my hanging plants by the front door when suddenly a tiny wren flew out of the philodendron! While she was gone I got a stool and climbed up to see what was there. A perfect little nest with three tiny eggs! When I think they have hatched, I will try to get a picture of them as well.

Besides getting lost in daydreams while watching the little creatures in my yard, I recently took a brief tour around Burnet with my camera. We have a lovely park with Hamilton Creek running through it. Just look what I caught soaking up the sun and perhaps doing a little daydreaming, too:
***********************************************************
As you all know, we recently celebrated Mother's Day. This was the third time since my own mother died, and I seemed to miss her more this year. My youngest, Matthew, invited me to spend Mother's Day with him and Amy and their two children. He and his next door neighbor Chris cooked dinner for the moms who were in attendance. Below are Melissa, Elizabeth, Amy, and Hollie. By the way, Hollie gave birth the Wednesday after this to Montannah. Congratulations, Hollie!

The food was delicious -- shrimp and steak kabobs and twice-baked potatoes courtesy of Chris. We shared wine, and also toasted with champagne.

As the mommies were celebrating, Miss Kelly had to doll up for the occasion as well. She had on her pink "princess" shoes. When Elizabeth pointed out that she also had on pink shoes, Kelly informed her that her shoes had diamonds! Grandmommy took a photo to show how pretty they were.


It was a lovely evening. Kelly let me sleep in her bed, and the next morning I made my trip back home. I had a bouquet of beautiful flowers to bring with me. And warm, loving memories of a special Mother's Day. I hope all of you mothers reading this had a special day as well.


Until next time.
Peace and love,
Marilyn


2 comments:

  1. While you observe the wild life, I pull more weeds out of the backyard. I let it grow up with all the wildflowers that Diane planted and then have to pull up those that I don't want going to seed as they have little burrs. Kinda like Beggar's Lice, but not and taller also.
    The pile at the curb is getting taller.
    Great pictures!
    And if you think about it...a mom is a mom whether or not she has feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my share of burrs in the back yard, too. Heaven Scent is helping me by keeping them mowed short. Lord knows how many will be there next year!

    And, you're right! A mom is a mom...even without feathers! While filming the little mockingbird, my mind was racing. I was thinking I might have to soak some dog food I have in the freezer to feed the little darlin' if the parents abandoned it!

    It doesn't take much to entertain me!

    ReplyDelete