Wednesday, October 13, 2010

WE ARE ONE

Why oh why does it take a tragedy for all of us on Planet Earth to join together, to realize we are one human family, and to rejoice in seeing good happen to our fellow men? As a world, we watch the rescue mission of the trapped Chilean miners, and the love, prayers, good wishes, and joy are palpable as each man is brought to the surface.

I remember how the Chilean rescue teams joined in the efforts to save victims of the Haitian earthquake last January. I felt they did not get the recognition they deserved, although, I'm certain none expected it. Then, Chile suffered its own earthquake. What strong, dedicated, and courageous people come from that South American country. They are certainly getting well-deserved recognition now.I was proud to hear that at least three American companies provided technical assistance/equipment for the miners' rescue. I embarrassed myself by thinking that the huge flag in all of the live video I am watching is a Texas flag -- perhaps honoring the Houston company that provided technical drilling expertise. Of course, it's the official flag of Chile! (Was that typical Texas arrogance -- or just a case of Texas pride?) NASA designed the rescue capsule. I am moved as well at the response of people from all over the world who are shown on TV, watching and praying for the successful completion of the rescue operation.

Due to my news "fast", I almost forgot that the rescue was taking place last night. My friend from Oklahoma, June reminded me this morning while she was watching the TV coverage. As I write this, 21 of the miners have been rescued so far. I am overcome with emotion each time I witness one of them coming out of that capsule. And those who drop to their knees to thank their God bring on more tears. None of us can imagine the 69 days of confinement nearly a quarter mile below ground, and all the rigors this imposed upon these brave men of all ages. Even the trip to the surface would probably be more than I alone could bear.
I want to share with you what June wrote to me this morning:

"As I sit here watching the Chile rescue of these miners one by one, I am once again in awe of what God can do (as they also are aware and some have verbalized that awe of God). One of the miners told his loved ones that there had not just been 33 of them in that mine for over two months--there had been 34, because God was there with them all that time.

One of the miners who came up during the night told the press that he was thankful that this experience had happened to him to bring him to God. He said he had been unwilling to acknowledge God's place in his life before the cave in and wouldn't join his wife in her prayers. But he said the cave-in experience had completely changed his awareness, and he had never had a doubt that God would get them out of that dark place.

Wow!! I have found throughout my own life that every experience, including the absolutely painful ones, has been life changing in some way. My very faithful God has been there in every one and worked for good throughout. This is not to say that I believe He/She causes the painful things, but that my God is always present with me through them and brings joy afterward. That's a really priceless heritage to have. My heavenly parent always is there and always available.

I'm thankful that these miners and their families are experiencing the same thing."
**********************************
It's not hard to believe that the lives of these men will be changed forever. To paraphrase a quote from one of my favorite books, Illusions, if you are alive, your mission is not complete. The fact that at least one of the men has survived three mining accidents is also amazing! As one newscaster stated, these are ordinary men (with ordinary lives and problems, i.e., one asked for his mistress to join with his wife to be there when he came to the surface) who have been going through extraordinary experiences. He also pointed out that not one of the miners requested anti-anxiety drugs, sleeping pills, or anything of that nature. Doesn't it make one feel guilty when we think how much we complain every day over our aches and pains and problems?

If the world can come together as one during disasters, helping our fellow man, and cheering them on.. why can't we do this during ordinary times as well? I would like to hear your feelings about the rescue operation and what it means to you as a citizen of the world.

I'm going to close with a prayer on my lips that each and every one of the miners, as well as the rescue workers who went down into that dark dungeon make it to the surface without incident.

Love and prayers,
Marilyn

ADDENDUM:

Hallelujah! All 33 miners have been rescued. Now the five rescuers who went into the mine to assist their ascent will be brought up. 8 PM CST

1 comment:

  1. "The newest addition to your blog was truly meaningful and thought provoking. How sad that it truly does take a tragedy of great proportions to get us watching together as a world with unity of mind and spirit. But then that's the blessing that often comes from such terrible events in our lives, as well as the renewing of our faith and love for our fellow human beings. Only a benevolent God knows the hearts and minds of His/Her creation. We can only wonder.

    Thanks again, Marilyn, for a beautiful blog, thoughtful and well written as always."

    ReplyDelete