Tuesday, February 11, 2014

IS IT IN THE GENES?

My oldest granddaughter Audrey is working on her Master's Degree in Environmental Management, with a concentration on Ecosystem Science, at the Duke University, Nicholas School of the Environment. During the recent holiday break, she applied for and got a job for the summer with the City of Austin Urban Forestry Department. "I will be helping implement a plan that went live at the beginning of the new year. It will require a lot of interaction with other city departments, which will be a great networking opportunity for me. Additionally, I will work with them on a tree planting prioritization project, which involves using mapping/spatial analyst software that I've learned to use in one of my classes! It's truly a great opportunity."
(Wesley Snipe in NC Outer Banks by Audrey)

I frequently watch nature programs on PBS, and I am dismayed at the loss of so many of our wetlands and habitats for wildlife in Texas (as well as all over the world). To observe someone as beautiful and talented, with so many options for her future career, decide to work in an area as important as the environmental ecosystem, fills me with pride. The path Audrey has chosen is very demanding upon her - both physically and mentally. When I asked if she is still dancing (she is an accomplished ballerina and violinist), she informed me that she doesn't have the time to attend the closest studio, but she manages to do Yoga daily and go on nature walks whenever possible. The extreme cold weather of late has put more stress on this activity. 
(Tundra Swans in NC Outer Banks by Audrey)

Audrey relayed one incident to her mother, Carajean, when she recently went on a class field trip in frigid conditions. She had yet to get a coat warm enough for the winter they were experiencing, so she layered quite a bit. The class wore waders to get into the river. Shortly after entering the water, Audrey's waders got a leak. This forced her to spend most of the day in heavy layers of wet clothing! Luckily, she is a strong, healthy young woman, and survived this incident. She was not very happy about it, though. Not that I blame her!
***********************************************

This good looking guy is Audrey's brother. His mother told me of some of his activities this school year: 

"Tanner continues to play tennis. He and his dad have a lot of fun attending monthly tennis tournaments all over the state of Texas. He auditioned for All Region High School Orchestra (without my prompting) and made fifth chair (Tanner plays cello) out of twelve chairs. This was quite the accomplishment, for high school competitions are very difficult and we were worried he wouldn't make it at all!  He continues to work hard at remaining on the A honor roll. Tanner will also start driving this year - yikes". 

Yikes, indeed! Tanner and his mom, Carajean, were here weekend before last for another tennis tournament. (Tanner won his first game that weekend.) He is such a delightful young man. He's growing up so fast and developing a sense of humor that reminds me of his dad, Branch. He's now a freshman at the same academy that sister Ashlyn attends. When he was twelve, he was enticed into participating in Cotillion. When he was here, I asked him if he still danced. He answered emphatically, "No!" His mom and I teased him and told him he must learn to dance so he can someday please his wife by taking her out dancing. He was not convinced. He has grown a lot since this photo (at right) was taken... and also grew a head full of curly hair!

Tanner has made some terrific videos, using techniques I thought were far beyond his years. I believe this was the first one he sent. He made it about three years ago. He's also the star. He did a few others after that as he grew up, but now his "movie-making" is on hold, he told me, as tennis is taking up so much of his time. I know he will get back to it someday, as he truly has a feel for it.


********************************************
Is it in the genes? One doesn't have to look very far to see the origin of the talents and academic gifts of my daughter Carajean's and her husband's three children - Audrey, Ashlyn, and Tanner. I've written at great lengths about Carajean (see There was a little girl,  published in April, 2013), and their daughter Audrey wrote a brief description of Branch in my blog Gamification in October, 2013. She wrote: "My dad is one of those intellects that just doesn't stop... he's a radiologist M.D. with a PhD in Physics... and also a professor.." 

Branch has been working on a Master's Degree in computer science, while teaching computer programming online - as well as keeping up his medical practice. He commented that the tests for the last two courses he was taking were as hard as studying for medical school tests. I'm happy to say he recently got that Master's Degree, Summa Cum Laude! At times I wonder how he puts up with us mortals. 

Oh, yes, Branch also has some musical abilities. Since they have been married, he learned to play piano, and Carajean told me he courted her by singing and playing the guitar when they were both in medical school. When I said to her, "How romantic!" She answered, "Not really, Mom." "Why not?" I asked. "He can't sing!" Well, I happen to remember Carajean singing along with our Barbra Streisand LP when she was a young girl. Can she sing? Let's just say the voice talents lie with her big brother Craig's family! You guys can't have everything.

May you all love and appreciate your children and grandchildren as much as I do! After all, they are our future.

Peace,
Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment