Monday, May 11, 2020

Springtime During COVID-19

Yours Truly
Son Craig
Last month my family that has descended from the first Pierre Moragne to arrive in early America toasted at the same time the anniversary of that date even though we were all in lockdown mode due to the COVID-19 outbreak. We took these photos to share with other Moragnes across the U.S., each toasting in our own way! Water, iced tea, wine, and beer!

Daughter Carajean
Son Matthew
Yesterday, which was Mother's Day, I was tickled to have all of them show up with their families for porch visits. (Well, almost all of them - minus three of the grandchildren who were not available). They staggered the visits so there was room for all to stay comfortably socially distant. There were lovely flowers and gifts, one of which would surprise most folks.. Son Matthew has turned out to be a fine cook, and for Mother's Day the entree happened to be filet mignon. He surprised me with one of them right off the grill in time for dinner! Matt knows I am complaining of late about having to cook for one... His delicious treat will actually be enough for me to have at least two or three meals! Hint: you don't have to wait for a special occasion to share one of your grilled treats, Matt.
***********************************
This is the second year in a row that birds have inhabited the same nest in the eave of my front porch. It's above my front door and visible through a high window in my living room. I've read that birds nesting over your front door means "good luck"! This year as I have been sitting on my sofa more than usual, I watched a pair of little birds coming and going for a few weeks. I was so excited when I saw tiny heads pop up over the edge of the nest. I took the following photo through the glass on the day after Easter. These sweet little ones flew away from their nest one at a time over the next three days.
I searched the bird books in my library without success, seeking to find my resident birds. A Google search of images was of no help either. The nearest to resemble them were barn swallows. Mostly because their nests were similar. When my granddaughter visited yesterday I asked her help on identification. You see, Audrey - among her many talents - is a "birder"! Here's a photo of her in 2013 with bird in hand!
As we all sat on my front porch yesterday, the little mama bird flew from one tree to another in the yard. She was visibly upset that we were so close to her nest, and she was fearful to approach it until after everyone left. Audrey had easily identified it as an Eastern Phoebe! This is what the adult looks like.
Eastern Phoebe Identification, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of ... 
(I wish I had been able to photograph it, but when I took my photo for the family toast I dropped my camera and broke it!!)

She was obviously nesting again. Imagine my surprise this morning when I saw a little head pop up as the adult bird flew up to the nest.. bug in beak! She already has another brood. Less than a month after the first ones fledged, there is at least one new chick in the same nest. 
**********************************
I love to see the significance of events relating to the circumstances of our lives. As so much sickness and death happening in the world today tends to depress us, how life-affirming it is to watch new birth occurring in nature. Trees and flowers budding and birds hatching in the tiny world I'm confined to lift my spirits. 

Celebrating ancestors and family and sharing so much love, it's almost impossible to believe anything so catastrophic as the COVID-19 pandemic is swirling around us. Believe it we must. At least until a cure or vaccine is available. Until then, treasure your porch or yard visits, stay home if at all possible, and when you must go out, wear your masks and keep a safe distance as required. 

Look for the goodness surrounding us on a daily basis. You cannot help but notice the kindness being demonstrated by so many. Even commercials have a quiet peacefulness to them (except for a few loud insurance, car, attorney, and pharmaceutical ads - one really cannot miss them). The generosity of so many corporations and individuals, both private and celebrities is heartwarming. The creativity exhibited by people stuck at home gives one faith that we will survive and be better for the isolation. Everything is changing, and will be permanently changed, I think for the better. 

(New Scientist)


While we count our blessings living in the United States, let's don't forget the third-world countries. I fear that we have not been shown enough of their sufferings. Imagine not having running water, much less enough food to eat. They need more than our prayers, they need as much in the way of donations as we can spare.
Share your thoughts of your experiences during this time of difficulty. This may be the most historical event you will live through. Write them down - the good and the bad. You'll feel better for it. In the meantime, smell the flowers and listen to the birds sing.

Peace, love, and good health,
Marilyn

1 comment: