Monday, February 7, 2011

SEEKING PEACE

(Picasso)
Most of you who have ever done a Google Search for a particular image know that when you choose an image oftentimes you are directed to a site where it originated or is being used.  Usually I try to use my own photographs, but often I need a particular image that I don't have to illustrate a point or a story. Then I search. I first look at photos on the public domain site, but I have to admit I use quite a few that are not there, hoping that I am not stepping on someone's toes or infringing on a copyright.  (I got an angry email one time from a lady who was incensed that I used a photo of her pet poodle to illustrate a friend's story of her poodle.) One such image I used a few months back to illustrate Ringo Starr's 70th birthday. (Oh, no! The Beatles are getting old!)  At the end of the post, I imported a peace sign that I got off the Internet. It had the neck of a guitar as part of the sign within the circle, with Peace spelled out on one side and Love on the other.  I wish I had credited the artist who created it.

(Picasso)
Apparently, the image attracted many others who also were searching for a peace sign.  Google's Blogspot has a terrific feature that allows bloggers to see which countries around the world have viewed your blog.  That doesn't necessarily mean those viewers have actually read your blog, but they have at least visited it.  Besides the number of views and the countries viewing it, there is also a list of referring sites.  From this I have learned that my most popular blog post in terms of times viewed was found by people searching the Internet for a peace sign, and they liked the one I used as well.  So much for my inflated ego that I had written a great blog post!

It took some time for me to correlate the number of views of that blog post with the events taking place around the world.  Not so oddly, a few of the countries were actually headlining the news at the same time some of their people were seeking peace in the form of an image they could use. Tunisia and Egypt come to mind. The uprisings of the common people demanding democracy and a just government seem to be increasing, and happening within shorter periods of time.  People are willing to take to the streets and even die for their freedom.  Some things never change, do they?

I wonder how they plan to use the Peace Sign image. Some countries, such as China, have rigid controls over Internet usage. Imagine the riot-torn countries, as well as the United Arab Emirate, Kuwait, Slovenia, Russia, Ukraine, and even some South American visitors -- all seeking peace in the form of an image.

I wish we could plaster the world with huge images of the peace sign, doves carrying olive branches, holy books, clasped hands, and any other images that are recognized throughout the world as signs of peace. If everywhere we looked we saw signs of love and peace and freedom and harmony that imprinted on our brain and consciousness, before long we would be seeing more and more countries longing for and implementing positive changes.

"What we hold in our thoughts, we create in our world". More people need to seek peace -- even if in the beginning it is only an image. After all, that is what we all wish for, isn't it?  Peace on earth.
                                          
Until next time..

Peace and love,
Marilyn


No comments:

Post a Comment