Tuesday, June 1, 2010

END OF SCHOOL YEAR

Checking in with my children, I got the following news of my grandchildren. As any proud grandparent would do, I am exercising my bragging rights. Daughter Carajean wrote this first report on her three, Ashlyn, Tanner, and Audrey.

"Ascension Academy Orchestra (at right) participating in a music festival in Dallas for which they won the grand prize (3 foot trophy). Ashlyn sits 3rd chair, first violin
section. She has been on the A/B honor roll all through middle school, and was voted Most Popular in her class this year.
Ashlyn is in the middle in the photo at left. She has been attending a private academy that her big sister Audrey graduated from two years ago as Valedictorian. Ashlyn has been very active not only in the orchestra, but also in sports - volleyball and basketball. She has decided to attend public high school next year.
Tanner (Left) With Cousin Race
(With Some of Their Many Awards)
Tanner has been on the A honor roll since he started school. (This year) he received all kinds of awards: science, principal's, good citizenship, science bowl, Reflections Literature Award (he wrote an essay on Beauty is... and won 1st place), Battle of the Books Champions, Honor's Choir and last but not least hula hoop award! He made hundreds on every TAKS test this year. In addition to winning an academic scholarship to Ascension ($500) and testing at a grade level of 11 in all subjects, he and (cousin) Race started a recycling program at school and won a special award for that. His recent leisure reading is an algebra book and Carl Sagan's, 'The Universe'.

Audrey made all As and one B+ (89) (Editor: Audrey wrote ME that the B+ was in her elective, Forensic Anthropoloy! This class triggered an interest she now has in one of my favorite TV shows, BONES). She danced hip hop with SMU this year and won a cash prize. She is home until second summer session, July 1st. She finished her 2nd year and is still majoring in environmental science."

Audrey wrote the following to me recently:
"This summer I am going to work really hard at getting back into shape. Ballet classes, gym, yoga, tennis.. I am so excited. I was a member of the SMU hip hop dance crew this year and LOVED it. We had so many performance opportunities. We participated in the World of Dance Competition and didn't place, but it was such a great experience. We have high hopes for next semester with new choreography. We did win the SMU talent competition and received $200!

Of course I will be playing the violin with the quartet my mom is in. (I try to play with them every time I come home). I hope to take Physics II this summer at home (pending approval from SMU)."

Next Saturday Carajean, Branch, all three children, and CJ's Dad and Ann will depart on an Alaskan cruise. Audrey promised to take lots of pictures for me.
********************************
A friend and I share jokes via email. After one particularly cute one about what kids say, she wrote me the following: "When Leah was 4, she was at yet another checkup with the pediatrician. As usual she was being a chatterbox. The doctor asked her what her Daddy liked. She looked up for a moment, then said, 'Actually he likes scotch and fish.'"
(Not to embarrass the dad, but you know who you are!)

*********************************
Daughter-in-law Amy was very busy with the children's activities this past year. PTA as well as being a Cub Scout den mother. She answered my request for a report on the year as follows:

"What a great school year it has been. I can't believe it is almost over. Kids don't get out until next Friday.

Travis' accomplishments this year: He made the all 'A' Honor Roll two nine weeks and all As and one B the next two nine weeks. He started the year in 2nd Grade. He played Flag Football for the first time this year and had a great time. Although his favorite sport is Baseball, which he played in the spring, and was a star player on the team. He got his Wolf Cub Badge at the Blue and Gold Ceremony in February and is loving being a cub scout. His goal is to become an Eagle Scout one day. He also received his Bear Neckerchief (photo at right) last week. He will begin his Bear Trail this summer to acquire his Bear Cub Badge in February 2011. He is going to be on the Steiner Shooting Stars Swim Team this summer and Brendan Hansen, an Olympic swimmer will be the coach. Travis is so excited. He also came in third place last weekend at the Cub Scouts' Cubmobile Derby! (picture below) We are looking forward to a fun summer, and he is looking forward to being in the 3rd Grade in the Fall.

Kelly started her first year of preschool and is a little 'social' butterfly. The teachers all love her and say that she is a beautiful loving little girl and loves to make new friends. She knows how to write her name, first and last, and loves to try and read. She knows all her alphabet. She is one smart little princess. She took ballet and tap lessons in the spring and had her recital in May. She is learning how to swim. She will be going into Pre-K in the fall."

At left, Kelly performs a tap dance to "Baby Love" at her recital. On the right is Kelly and three of her preschool classmates. She is second from the left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Memorial Day I was excited to have both of my sons with me. Son Craig and his delightful, beautiful lady friend, Anat, visited from Dallas and Plano. Matthew, Amy, Travis, and Kelly came from Austin. We ate and talked and ate and talked some more. I got lots of "baby love" from Travis and Kelly, and Travis filled me in more on his schedule for the summer. He's really excited that he will attend a motorcycle camp for kids, as well as going to Cub Scout camp, where they are going to teach them archery and B.B. gun shooting. (I acted like these were great things... even tho I'm worried he is too young to ride motorcycles, and guns... well, his Dad and Mom know what's best for their own kids!) I really loved the visit with all of them. I only wish it could have been longer, and that the rest of my family could have been here as well.

It was such a brief visit that I extracted a promise from Craig that they would come again - soon!! Also, he is the only one who hasn't given me his report on how well Cameron and Hannah did in school this year. I will put that on the next blog.

*********************************


Before I close I must tell you that I got the picture below of the baby wrens who's mom built her nest in my philodendron. They are so ugly at this stage -- only a mother could love them. It's difficult to make out how many are in there. I think there were only three. I thought I would go back later when they were a little more filled out and had more feathers. Less than a week later I did so, and to my surprise, they had already flown the nest!

Boy! I'm glad my kids never looked like that! I don't think there would be any of my "bragging" blogs if they did!

Until next time.

Peace and love,
Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment