Sunday, April 15, 2012

SPRING FEVER, FLOWERS, and.. OH, YES! A FAT ANGEL



Sitting by my breakfast area window, eating blueberry muffins fresh from the oven, and watching the gentle April shower fall on my resident Robin, who was ready to pounce on the earthworms that the rain surely would bring to the surface, I mused on the effects of a mild winter, good rains that soaked our drought-ridden Texas landscape, and the arrival of an early spring as a result. Flowers that bloom in my yard in April, May or June, started blooming profusely in March. The honeysuckle vine that normally doesn't bloom much at all because it is at the far side of my back yard and doesn't get watered very often, is full of fragrant blossoms. The star jasmine vines in my front yard have never bloomed earlier than June, and are heavy laden with the tiny "Confederate" stars. Their fragrance wafts over anyone who ventures past the vines.


I have always loved Vincent Van Gogh's painting, Blue Irises, and after several years of nurturing, and even transplanting them from my last home, I finally have a decent start to having my own living replica of that famous work of art. They, too, bloomed early and I was sad to see the last blossoms die last week.

The birds came early also, and have delighted me with their antics at the bird feeder and birdbaths in the back yard. I had flocks of goldfinches and cedar waxwings again, and even a few beautiful red wing blackbirds. A tiny wren is nesting in the small birdhouse beside my living room window. Unfortunately, I get caught up in spring fever, and I'm slow to reach for my camera. I even missed seeing the bald eagles feeding their young this year. My cranky auto, an aging Jeep, kept me from venturing along the back roads in the county, and I missed out seeing what I hear was an abundance of wildflowers as well. I was satisfied with the marching buttercups in my backyard, the tiny purple henbits and oxalis that bloomed all over my and my neighbor's yards. I would like to plant bluebonnets, however, the birds would love that I'm sure! They would eat the scattered seeds before they ever had a chance to take root.
The Abominable Snow Cat
The bird feeder and the water I put out for them happen to be a magnet for neighborhood and stray cats alike. I usually just watch the cats sneak into the yard for a drink. If I see one who seems to be lurking and ready to pounce on an unsuspecting bird, I will rap on the window and most will quickly vacate the yard. Except for the one above, whom I call "Yeti Kitty", due to the fact that he is so huge and so illusive when I try to take his photo. I say "he" because the one time I saw him up close through the chain link fence, I noticed his jowls are wide and scarred from many fights. I think he is a stray because his beautiful coat is matted and dirty. Yeti Kitty only shows himself occasionally at dusk. Sometimes I think he might be sleeping days under my house and ventures out to drink the water before going hunting at night. This photo was taken through my kitchen window with the zoom feature. If I make a noise, he will look my way, then mosey out of the yard at his own pace.
************************
I'm sure you wonder why on earth I'm talking about a "fat angel". Lately, a funny story popped into my head I wanted to share with you. Years ago, a good friend of mine was working at a health club in Houston. Part of her job was to show new people around the club and let them try its equipment. The first visit was free. Then, the employees were expected to "sell" the customer a membership. There was a small room set aside for this consultation, complete with a two-way mirror, so the supervisors could check in from time to time to see how the employee performed. Now Jane was a dynamic little blond with a gift of gab. She went through the whole spiel, and was taken aback by the chubby young woman's response. It seems the woman was a member of a particular religious sect whose members believed the "end of the world" was imminent and, therefore, she wouldn't be here to take advantage of even a six month membership. Ever resourceful, Jane hesitated only a minute, then came back with, "Well, now, you don't want to be a fat angel, do you?"  Gales of laughter could be heard through the walls as Jane's superiors collapsed. (She obviously didn't make the sale!)

May your spring put more than a spring in your step!

Peace and love,
Marilyn

1 comment:

  1. What perfectly lovely musings you do have, Marilyn. And I suspect, a healthy case of spring fever is upon you. Loved it all.

    J

    ReplyDelete