Thursday, March 21, 2013

SPRINGTIME FUN

Last week was Spring Break for my grandchildren, so we got together in Austin. It was the first time I've had all my children and grandchildren under one roof in 11 years! After a family dinner here, most congregated at my daughter's and son-in-law's lot on Lake Austin. There were RVs and campers, and one family friend furnished a big boat. The weather was extremely cool the first couple of nights and day.. in the 30s at night. The first full day, it never got out of the high 50s, but that did not deter the kids from having fun in the water!   Tanner and Travis both joined the polar bear club. Here's Tanner after his dip on Monday:
Tanner was chosen to be in the "Royal Court" at his school, which his mom said is comparable to  being a class favorite in public school. He is on the A honor roll and in the National Honor Society, plays the cello in the school orchestra, and is now competing in tennis. He and big sister Ashlyn (age 17) are traveling to Colorado Easter weekend for a school orchestra competition. Ashlyn plays second chair, first violin, and Tanner fourth or fifth chair cello. However, he is a middle schooler playing in the advanced orchestra.

 Before joining us in Austin for Spring Break, he and his dad attended a tournament in College Station. He won the first match, but lost the second. Dad said he played well.
 "I love playing tennis now and I have improved a lot! I recently competed in a USTA state Zonal Area Tournament (ZAT) and I won first in consolations! Unfortunately, I had somewhat dropped my movie making hobby because of lack of time and inspiration, but thankfully it's been replaced by tennis! I will be playing a lot more tennis now! Thank you for your support." (Tanner)

************************************************************
Hannah, a student at Marsh Middle School, recently won third place in an essay contest conducted by a Dallas radio station. It was a take on Alicia Keys' song "Girl On Fire".. "What Does It Take To Be On Fire?"  Hannah states, "It takes courage, confidence, and most of all, inspiration." Here she is being interviewed: 

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10151587700042214

I'd say our Hannah is a "Girl on Fire"!

Hannah is a straight A student still, and sings in the Marsh Middle School choir. She told me about an upcoming spring recital which will consist of Disney songs. She sang a solo from "Little Mermaid" at the Christmas program, and will sing it as well as others at the spring recital. The acting bug has bitten Hannah, though, so I expect more theater productions to come!

Craig and Hannah on Spring Break

(Jasmine) Grandchildren Kelly, Hannah, and Cameron
Spring Break 2013

Audrey, Ashlyn, Hannah, Cameron
Kelly and Travis

Not only getting into the frigid water, the kids also went on hikes, played ball, Cameron played guitar and sang, the teens did a little sunbathing (legs only), and Ashlyn and her friend Shaylee took Uncle Matt's kayak for a run on the lake. Lots of good food and drink, camaraderie, and fun for Spring Break. (The adults had a good time as well.. just not quite brave enough to test the water!)

Ashlyn, besides playing violin in the school orchestra, is on the A/B honor roll and has been invited to join the National Honor Society. A sports lover, she played basketball and volleyball this year. Her mom says that she now wants to get a part-time job!

Ashlyn

*************************************************
I must say that besides Spring Break, I know it must be Spring because grandson Travis played his first two Little League baseball games. I went to both and cheered him on. And oh, yes, another sign of Spring? I painted my toenails!

Until next time..

Happy Spring!
Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment