Saturday, March 23, 2013

DOCTOR BOB

Special people show up in our lives from time to time. Affectionately known by my family as "Doctor Bob" (aka Bob, Bobby, or Robert L. Roberts, DDS), he is one of those very special people. When my younger son Matthew married Amy they moved to a lovely house on Doe Valley Lane here in Austin. Doctor Bob and his adorable wife Betty were their neighbors, and quickly became close friends. After more than ten years, I would have to say they are more like another set of parents for Matt and Amy.

Doctor Bob holding court.

When Doctor Bob "speaks", we wish to hear what he has to say. He shares his wisdom freely with the young folks. I recently asked him to furnish me with some of that wisdom and some of his "stories" to share with my friends and other family members. This is the first installment.

A little background info first. Doctor Bob spent 8 years in the University of Texas system - four years here in Austin and four years at UT Dental School in Houston. He then practiced general dentistry in Austin for 36 years, retiring in 1994. "Retiring" certainly didn't mean tired to him! Not even slowing down.


Pictured left to right, Doctor Bob, Rich Harrison, and Ernie Fortenberry, members of a group who enjoy two hours of doubles at the Pharr Tennis Center two or three times a week. Bob and Rich are 80 years young and Ernie is the youngest at 79 years.

Doctor Bob states, "They are not unusual. You'll find their likes at almost any tennis center anywhere. It is indeed a game for life!"

"I was 8 years old when I was handed a racquet at Camp Stewart outside of Kerrville, Texas, and told to go hit a ball. It was love at first stroke, and I have been a tennis player all my life. In my youth, I played for the exercise; in my dotage I find that I must exercise to play the tennis...Morning stretching, 5-pound weights and elastics when I'm not swimming in the lake or cutting firewood. Anything to keep the joints and muscles moving. With the aging process in each muscle fiber, some protein is being replaced by fat no matter what we do. All we can do is slow the process. Senescence is a bitch.

The mental benefits of stepping on a tennis court are equally important. At this age, with the testosterone levels disappearing, winning is reduced to a side benefit. We play as friends, laugh at our dumb shots, and cheer the perfect ones. It's the camaraderie along with the cardio stress that is important. Exercise is nature's reboot of the psyche -- you may quote me on that."

Matthew and his surrogate dad, Doctor Bob

Thank you Doctor Bob for the insight into your magnificent lifestyle and physical fitness at age 80! We all should heed your advice in hopes to be as healthy -- and happy as you when we reach your age.

Now where are my hand weights? Hmmm.. mine are only 2 pounds. Will that help?

Peace and good health to you all,
Marilyn

1 comment:

  1. What an inspiring guy Dr. Bob is for all those in his life! If only . . . Well, may he live to be a 100+, and at the rate he is going he may well reach there. Thanks again, Marilyn, for a great post to your blog.

    ReplyDelete