Tuesday, February 28, 2017

BABY, LOOK AT YOU NOW!

Miss Kelly (Future American Beauty Queen) was an absolutely adorable baby and toddler. She is my youngest of nine grandchildren, and is now eleven years old. A couple of weeks ago she accompanied her dad, Matthew, to Grandmommy's house for the purpose of doing a little work that needed to be done around here. 

When they arrived, there was an unopened box from Amazon sitting on the floor. I asked Matthew if he would open it and put together the shower stool it contained. Imagine my surprise when he said, "Kelly, come here and open this box." She immediately plopped down on the floor as he handed her his pocket knife. From the looks of the blade when she opened it, I worriedly asked him if it was a "switchblade" -- it was pretty long. He laughed at me as Kelly set to work cutting all the tape holding the box together. When she finished and returned his knife, he then told her to take the pieces out and assemble them. I protested a little, but Kelly was excited as she emptied the box and looked at all of the pieces of the stool. She ignored my suggestion that she look at the instructions, and went right to work. 

(Future Mechanical Engineer)
In no time at all, she had put together my stool and hurried into the bathroom to place it in the tub. She said the legs were a little too high, and quickly set to work shortening them.

I said, "Kelly, I am so impressed with your skill! Why, you could be an engineer someday." She quickly responded that she intended to be one when she grows up. I said there were many types of engineers -- which would she prefer to be? Without hesitating, she replied, "I'm going to be a mechanical engineer!" 

She and Dad moved on to the next project I had lined up for them. An old lamp of my late grandmother's needed to be rewired with the kit Matthew bought at Home Depot. I hesitantly told Matthew I wasn't sure I would feel safe letting her rewire something electrical (after all, she is going to be a mechanical engineer).  He brushed aside my concerns and patiently began to teach Kelly how to take apart the lamp to begin the process. Here she is cutting the old wire. Dad did most of the work on this, but Kelly watched every step. I have no doubt she will be able to do something like this in the future. By the way, Kelly is a straight A student, creates beautiful artwork, and is as adorable as a pre-teen as she was as a baby!


Matthew later told me that when they left here after taking care of my chores, he and Kelly went geocaching all afternoon. Geocaching is something of a modern day treasure hunt. "GPS coordinates lead you to a location where a treasure, otherwise known as 'cache', is hidden. Many caches come with fun clues that help you along the way. Once found, you log your visit into the provided logbook. Many caches have trinkets to trade – think unusual coins, fast food toys, pencils, etc." If one takes a treasure, you must leave one in its place. For those interested, more information about this fun family outing is on this website Geocaching.

**********************************************

Another adorable baby!

Travis is Kelly's big brother. He hasn't been over recently as the warm weather has kept him on the golf course where he plays with the Vandegrift Vipers high school golf team. Last week they played their most recent tournament at the Hutto Invitational. Travis placed third on his team with a score of 79. He is a Freshman, and the two who scored lower than he did were a Junior and a Senior. Dad and Mom both were there, and I'm sure they were very proud parents. I am a proud grandmother as well.





Travis is a very good student, being on the A and B honor roll. He's also involved in volunteer work with both his church group and the Young Men's Service League, the Viper Chapter. Here he and his friend are at a recent tree planting day in Bastrop County where in 2011 wildfires destroyed 34,000 acres and killed 2 people. There was another wildfire in the same county in 2015 that didn't destroy as much acreage, but both fires wiped out most of the trees in the affected acres.

(Travis on right and friend Tucker)
Travis will turn 15 this summer, and will be getting his learner's permit to drive. Last fall, when their family was in the country for a Thanksgiving vacation, Dad let him drive a bit on the empty county road.


He certainly looks like he is enjoying this. (I accused his dad of photo shopping this picture.) I will hate to think of my youngest grandson driving on Austin's freeways!

******************************************

As proud as I am of my grandchildren, I'm even prouder of all of their parents. Matthew's patience and enjoyment at spending time with both of his children is amazing. He is a super dad who wants his children to explore and learn anything that interests them. They both adore him, too. The next adventure he and Kelly have planned is to release two weather balloons they bought online. They will attach a GoPro camera and send it into the stratosphere. Supposedly, it will land within a 150 mile radius, so using a GPS locator they plan to retrieve it. Sounds like a lot of fun. Hopefully, they can do it on a day Travis isn't playing golf so he can join them.

You know, my own father never wanted to do anything with me as a child. In high school I joined the Chess Club so I could learn to play the game and maybe get him to play with me. We did play dozens of games, but I only beat him one time. To his dying day he denied that ever happened, and if it did, it was only "because I let you win". He never encouraged me to be anything when I grew up other than to "be a secretary". He sure did spend a lot of time telling me the things I could not do, thereby dashing any dreams I had.


My children and grandchildren have more than fulfilled my dreams. They are living and loving their families, accomplishing much in their own lives as well as being wonderful role models, and encouraging their children to pursue and fulfill their own dreams.

In a world -- even a country like ours -- where so many children are deprived of even enough to eat or basic care, much less loving families who provide them with opportunities to explore their future... I can only say how very blessed we are in our family. And I thank God.

Love and peace,
Marilyn

3 comments:

  1. Marilyn, you have every reason to be proud of your wonderful children and their wonderful children. And you have every reason to proud of the things that you taught them. You are now reaping the nurturing that those children received. I thank God with you for those blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful blog, Mom. I smiled all the way through. So proud of my baby brother. What a good man he has become.

    Love,
    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stories about your grandkids. So refreshing that we have young people today like yours to influence our future in a positive way.

    ReplyDelete