Saturday, September 16, 2017

Open Your Hearts

In light of the recent terrible losses of people who lived in the path of both Hurricanes Harvey and Irma, it helps to remind ourselves how fortunate we are if we are among the lucky ones who escaped their fury. 

As I saw the total devastation of so many homes and businesses in Texas, in Florida, and on so many Caribbean islands, all I could think of is how much the people still have to suffer to regain some semblance of a normal life. The lack of basic needs such as food, water, and utilities only make more complicated the work of cleaning out, rebuilding, and replacing their personal belongings. Governments can only do so much. These people need our help. If you wish to donate and are not sure where to start, this site, Charity Navigator, will point the way. It not only lists the organizations already in existence and onsite in most cases, it rates them according to their efficiency. You will know how wisely your money is being spent. 

As we view our many blessings, let us open our hearts and pocketbooks to help the victims.


Oh God, when I have food, help me to remember the hungry;
When I have work, help me to remember the jobless;
When I have a warm home, help me to remember the homeless;
When I am without pain, help me to remember those who suffer;
And remembering, help me to destroy my complacency and bestir my compassion.
Make me concerned enough to help by word and deed; those who cry out for what we take for granted.
Amen - -Samuel F. Pugh


Love our neighbors,
Marilyn

1 comment: