Friday, April 19, 2019

A MOMENT'S BREATH

There has been much excitement in the news lately -- some of it good and some of it not-so-good. I thought it best to post something uplifting instead of ruminating over items that promise to bring us down. As my regular readers are aware, I am particularly fond of reporting the good news emanating from my talented grandchildren. 

My daughter's son, Tanner, has been honored recently by eno Magazine. an arts and literature magazine published by the Nicholas School of the Environment at Duke University. (Which, by the way, is where Tanner's sister Audrey received her master's degree.) He received notice from the Editor of the magazine: "I am happy to announce that your work has been selected for the 8th Edition of eno Magazine...your work completely blew us away and we are honored to publish your beautiful piece in this year's magazine." I was completely blown away myself when Carajean forwarded this to me. 

Blown away, but not surprised. Tanner has shown to be a gifted writer in the past. In 2017 I posted a poem from his Freshman English class. A Talent Exposed  Not only is he an accomplished writer, tennis player, and cellist, but he is now taking up playing the guitar. I'm thinking... Bob Dylan maybe?

Branch Tanner Archer, IV

See for yourself:


A MOMENT'S BREATH                                              

For life had not been fun, I must admit,
The past few months just pain. A broken vow:
“From loneliness shall I help you remit.” 


One night I left the library. Allow
Me to explain the strange sensation I
Soon felt, the one that changed my life. Just how?

You’ll see, with patience please progress. 
“Goodbye.” 
Said I, the house of books receding now. 
Aluminum I rode that night, a spry

Gray bike, for chains and gears cannot break vows.
This friend of mine was one of speed, the tick
Of clocks could not quite part. With time my brow

Grew wet with sweat. Oh no! A slick? A stick?
Not I nor you will know—the cause of my
Short fall is not what matters most. A thick

Abundant patch of grass, a strip nearby
On which my flying form could land devoid
Of pain. No blade of grass could hide the eye

Of strangers passing by. At first, annoyed,
My body-bike conjoined, I only sought
One thing, one goal: the stranger’s eye avoid!

Then something wonderful occurred. No thought
Had I like this before. My laugh and squawk,
No stop to come, my heartfelt laugh, onslaught

Of joy! How much I wished on my night walk
That I could see a sight like his, a sight
Hysterical--the gift of laughing stocks.

Once laughter dies a second phase alights--
The phase of mirth, of happiness content.
My eyes now drift and gazed at skies of night

A tranquil view ignites my heart’s ascent
To lights that soar and wink. No thought had I

Now up above a land and world so bent 

On keeping eyes down low. The stars nearby
From which I once were made held me with care.
A friend I found in life. No time had I,

To fret on this or that. One life to stare
To dream and feel among the Greatest Web
Through which we all connect and share.

This friend and I completed nature’s dance.
A cosmos filled my lungs in just one breath
That changed my life and loneliness remit. 




*******************************************
A note before closing.. there have been instances to remind us of the Crucifixion during this Holy Week. Notably, the burning of Notre Dame Cathedral. I have also been reminded of "resurrection". The millions of dollars already donated to repair the Cathedral is one example.. God bless the people who are willing to assist in its resurrection. We might even think of occurrences in our own lives that have raised us up from our despair. It is a season of overcoming.

Happy Easter,
Marilyn

2 comments:

  1. Tanner is a very talented young man. I know how proud of him you must be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Easter grandmommy! I am so proud of my lil bro :)

    ReplyDelete