Monday, June 17, 2019

Maid of Honor's Speech for the Bride and Groom

Ashlyn & Audrey

"First off, I’d like to say how overjoyed I am that we could all be here to celebrate Erick and Audrey; two people whom I find so deserving of the love they have found in each other. For those of you who don’t know me, (which is not many of you) my name is Ashlyn, the one who has always been fortunate enough to say that Audrey is my sister. There was never a dull moment growing up with Audrey, whether it be a dance performance (on stage or in the living room), making up games for us to play, taking us on nature hikes, or just bringing all of the family together to put on a skit that she orchestrated all on her own. She had a way of making our childhood feel extraordinary. 

For as long as I can remember, Audrey has exuded elegance and confidence. She has always had the strength to stand up for what she believes in, and to unapologetically be herself while inviting others to do the same. She has a love for her family, friends, and this world that is unmatched. There is a difference between what my sister is to me, and what we are as sisters. She has always been my biggest role model, my built-in best friend, and my go-to when I was in trouble with our mom and dad for no good reason at all… (I’m kidding Mom and Dad, I know you had every right), but more importantly as sisters, we have never allowed each other to feel alone. Through every phase of life, no matter how silly or dark the circumstance or how broken we felt, one of us was always there to help pick up the pieces and remind each other that we are always stronger than we feel. I mean, I don’t know anyone who would listen to me cry about my over-plucked eyebrows, or a mountainous pimple on my face for as long as she has.
When I first learned about Erick, I had to admit I was a little leery. I was going to school in Oklahoma at the time, so I wasn’t able to see anything first-hand.. (Audrey) called me and told me about this cute, curly-headed musician that lives in a 'tiny house' that she kept running into at my mom and dad’s apartment. Well, my first thought was 'what in the world is a tiny house, and why is he at the apartments when he has a tiny house?' As fate would have it, hurricane Harvey’s devastating effects had Erick’s parents seeking refuge in the same apartments as our parents. To me, it is evident that the stars were aligned for them to cross each other’s paths. 

As time went on, my sister was just head over heels in love with Erick and his precious son, Ishan. I still had not met him, and I was anxious as all get out to meet the guy that my sister told me 'could be the one'. When I finally had the pleasure of meeting Erick, I knew he was different. It didn’t take long for me to see that he is fun-loving, he can roll with the punches (which is very important in this family), and that he has the adventurous spirit that my sister has always deserved in a husband. More importantly, it was evident from the very first second I saw them together that Erick loves my sister deeply. Not only did I see that he is a
great addition to the family, but so is his son, Ishan, who shares the same adventurous and kind-hearted spirit as his dad. Since Audrey first met Erick, she has radiated a sense of joy, adventure, and love that Audrey has always been capable of, but with more intensity, and a sense of security than I have ever seen in her before. Erick, you are wonderful. I could not imagine a better man for my sister, or to call my brother-in-law. (They don’t know this, but I’ve been working on the blueprints for adding a room in their house for me… but we can cross that bridge when we get there.) 

I only wish I weren’t kidding…Cheers to the stars aligning, and for endless amounts of patience, love and happiness for the both of you! Congratulations Audrey and Erick!"...Ashlyn
Mother Carajean, Bride, Maid of Honor
Audrey & Father Branch














The beautiful wedding of these two took place outdoors at the bride's parents' Lake Travis home on June 1, 2019.
Instead of rice, the guests held fireworks sparklers as the newlyweds made their way to their "getaway car"! A two-week honeymoon was spent in Italy. I can't wait to see the professional photos taken of the wonderful event as well as the ones the couple took in Italy. These were taken by me or son Matthew. 

This was the first of my seven grandchildren to get married. Of course, it was very exciting, and my daughter did a great job of getting her home and backyard ready for the big event. Forty (or more) people for a sit-down dinner was not an easy task to plan, but it was perfect and everything indoors and out was absolutely beautiful. 

As my second oldest granddaughter Ashlyn caught the bridal bouquet, the next wedding may be sooner than we thought. And -- the love of her life is also named Erik! 

This was/is a lot for this aging grandmother to take in. I bubbled with pride at all of my family, but this was one weary woman at the end of a long, beautiful day.

May you all have as much love in your lives,
Marilyn

ADDENDUM:
Just in.. a few photos by ELISA LOPEZ PHOTOGRAPHY:



  




3 comments:

  1. Beautiful bride as well as her bride’s maid and mom. I wish them every happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandmommy this is beautiful!! I am so grateful you were able to be there to share in the love. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was quite a toast, and based on some of your previous posts, it must all be true. Congratulations to all, Grandmother included!

    ReplyDelete